Friday, December 21, 2007

Travel Woes

We have not had a good week or so of travel. It started last week. Andy was due to fly back from Montreal on Thursday night. We got a pretty big snow storm on Thursday so he couldn't get a flight home until Friday. That screwed me up because I was now in charge of dropping off Murdoch at daycare. I got into work around 9 AM which is very late for me. The dog walker canceled because of the weather but that was fine because Andy was supposed to be home around noon. I called him a little after 12 to make sure that he had gotten in okay. He was still in Montreal because there was a fire on his plane so he was rebooked on the next flight that wouldn't get in until about 3:30. Well that was way too long for Deucey to be in her crate so I ended up leaving work around 12:30 to go home and take care of her. I called Andy on my way home to let him know that I was able to leave work so we should be all set. He then asked me why I wasn't more concerned about a fire on his plane. Now in my defense I thought he had never left the gate, and there was either a fire on the plane that was coming in so they needed another plane or it happened while they were just sitting there. And keep in mind that I was talking to him on the phone so I knew he was okay. Well it turns out that he was actually up in the air, the cabin filled with smoke, and they had to turn back around and make an emergency landing at Montreal. Andy and his co-workers had a good laugh at the fact that I never even asked if he was okay. I think my mind had already moved onto how we were going to get everyone home that day so the fact that he was talking to me meant that obviously he was doing just fine and other things needed to be taken care of. I guess I need to slow down in the future.

My sister was schedule to get in around 4 PM on Sunday - yet again we have another storm. I randomly checked her flight on Saturday and they had already canceled it - in fact they canceled all of the direct flights from St. Louis to Boston. They put her on a flight through Chicago, who is also having bad weather, and she now wasn't getting in until after midnight and because at this point the storm hadn't even started I was thinking that she wouldn't make it in at all. Because of this I am yet again stressed out because I pulled Murdoch out of daycare while Emily was visiting, Andy was flying to Toronto on Monday AM so if Emily didn't make it in then I had yet another scheduling issue with the two babies and I needed to figure out how to get Emily from the airport. Luckily Emily made it in okay, she was a trooper dealing with all of those delays without a single complaint, and everything worked out okay, except for the fact that Emily didn't get much sleep. We had a great week together and then we had another snow fall on Thursday when she was scheduled to leave. She ended up getting home okay but was delayed for over 2 hours. And now my Mom is flying in today and she is delayed an hour! My Dad is scheduled to fly in on Sunday - it is supposed to rain that day. We are crossing my fingers that it is an uneventful flight.

I have to say that so far the most stressful thing I find about being a Mom is the scheduling and the unexpected things that happen that throw it all off! Sorry for the complaining but I just wanted to get that all out so I could move on, happier posts coming soon. I will go back to monitoring my Mom's flight and hope that she lands okay and with only a small delay.

2 comments:

Unknown 3:50 PM  

Oh my goodness! What a week of travel and stress for everyone! Glad Andy & Emily made it back to their respective destinations. We'll keep our fingers crossed for your mom and dad.
The juggling is incredible - that's why mothers can get more done than anyone else. It becomes a balancing act!
Hope the week-end is uneventful... and you all have a good relaxing holiday -

Ellen 4:59 PM  

Sarah,

I would have had the same response to a fire on a flight if that had happened to Craig. On days when I am juggling the kids alone, it's a miracle that I ask Craig anything about his day/work/life etc.

Travel these days is an absolute nightmare. If it isn't weather, then it's an overbooked flight. I hope your mom and dad make the trek in an uneventful fashion.

Have a great time with Mur at Christmas. Though I know he won't have a memory of it, it's a big deal to have your first Christmas as a family of three. Can't wait to see the pictures.

E

Sarah's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP