Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Seriously?!

Yes this should be an Earth Day post but I read this article and it really pissed me off. It was in my free newspaper I read every morning on the train and I saw the title on the front page, 'Get Your Partner to Pitch In', and I thought oh that might be useful, until I read the article. Here are a few highlights:

Do not boss him
This leads to an unhealthy dynamic and makes you more of the pain-in-the-butt mother than the loving girlfriend. Being the mother will have a profoundly negative impact, especially in the bedroom as resentment builds. Be polite and courteous, and treat him as you want to be treated.

I think the way I would like to be treated is not as a free house cleaner that has to run around picking everything up and vacuuming in order to keep the roaches away!

Empower him
Ask him what chores he might want to do. By letting him choose, he can tap into what he is comfortable doing, providing a sense of control and independence that might be necessary during this new phase in the relationship.

I don't really want to clean the toilet either but someone has to!

Define clean
Are your expectations realistic? You and he may have different opinions as to what clean means. Reach an agreement as to what are new, mutually acceptable standards for cleanliness. Focus on the end goal, making it about “our house.”

I would simply like to walk on the floor without my feet sticking to it - is that so wrong?!

Compliment him
Acknowledge what your boyfriend does well. This will provide a much needed positive reinforcement and encourage more of the same behavior.

Wow! You really work well with that glass cleaner!

Get in the mind of a man
Tell him: “I find it sexy when a man can clean.” Indirectly he’ll get that housework can lead to sex.

How about - There will be a Gucci bag on the bed if you do that load of laundry!

This article was written by a man and it was in response to a woman writing in about her boyfriend not cleaning and that it was ruining their relationship. I think this is a common problem for people but I found these suggestions a little crazy! No one compliments me about how well I fold the laundry or that the kids aren't covered in grass, dirt, and god knows what other types of stains - that is just what I do. I wipe down the table not because I like to do it, I do it because there would be a layer of crap where my toddler eats everyday that would eventually not come off. Sometimes you just have to get it done without talking about it, defining roles, etc. At the end of the day I think everyone likes a clean house and a little relaxation time so just shut up, wash the dishes already and then you can sit down with a beer to watch the game!

4 comments:

Ellen 11:57 AM  

These suggestions made me laugh OUT LOUD (thank you for that). This must have been written by a 20 something with no real clue about life or relationships that last more than one night. Seriously, compliment him? Empower him? What is "he": a puppy?

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around 1:06 PM  

well said sarah and ellen!!! seriously???!!! the "man" (boy) who wrote this must need some serious babying and ego boosting :)

sarah - i liked your "side notes" about the article!!!

Unknown 3:43 PM  

Different generation here - same sentiment! Your humor is the best way to survive...

Mary 2:49 AM  

I prefer, "I'm going to kick your ass if you don't clean that toilet. It's not MY piss running down the sides."

Sarah's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP