Friday, June 11, 2010

Tomorrow I might be able to call myself a .....

Triathlete. I don't know if you can officially call yourself that after only one race but I think I am going to go ahead and do it.

After having my second child I went back to the gym to lose the weight and get back in shape. I accomplished that goal but after I lost the weight I felt like my workouts really weren't doing much and I didn't have a true goal in mind. How I decided on a triathlon - I honestly have no idea. I swam for about 15 years, I used to run but honestly I don't enjoy it that much, and the last time I road a bike I ran into a telephone pole. I had a pool at the gym, I could start running but I didn't own a bike so I decided to start with spinning classes. So I got a little better at each piece but it was still just an idea - I needed to actually sign up for one and I needed a partner. I tried to get my brother-in-law to do it but he wouldn't commit. I was having dinner with a guy I work with and his wife and she mentioned that she runs half marathons. We had a really nice time - especially considering that we had never met and I ask her husband if he would ask her about the triathlon. She agreed and we are now less than a day away from our first one.

I have had such a great time - it has been some time away from the kids so that is a nice mental break - you need to have some time to yourself and away from the kids. Lindsey has been great - I have made a new friend which I find hard to do. And I am in better shape. We have done the whole thing twice so I feel pretty comfortable that we will be able to finish it. Our goal is to finish and have fun.

In my book I have come a long way. Still a little nervous - the swim is in the ocean which isn't exactly warm right now and I am still a little nervous on a bike so the large number of people will be a little scary but if I just stay behind someone the whole time and never pass anyone that works for me.

Now I am just hoping for a good night's sleep and no rain tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

3 comments:

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around 12:31 PM  

sarah, that is awesome that you and lindsey have been training for a triathlon and now the big day is here tomorrow - i am impressed!!! i think i could do the biking and the running but i am unsure about the swimming portion, especially since i am a wimp and i would want it to be in a nice pool or something :) good luck tomorrow! can't wait to see pictures and hear all about it!!!

Unknown 2:13 PM  

Go,Sarah!! You've got our vote...

Ellen 6:29 PM  

Hey friend, I hope you had a rockin' day. Thinking of you. We bailed on RMNP and our camped out at a hotel in Cheyenne. It's snowing at our campsite right now!

Sarah's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP