Wednesday, August 27, 2008

One year ago today...

So I went to a personal training session at lunch today - my first real one ever and I thought to myself while I was doing this horrible core workout that I went into labor around this time one year ago and if I got through that I could get through this 30 minutes of core work and balance. And then my mind turned around and said - you know what, I would rather be in labor :)

The night before I went into labor, which was a Sunday last year, I went to see a movie in a movie theatre - the last time I have done that since having Murdoch. I went to see The Bourne Ultimatum with Andy, Matt Levine, Bridget, and Marcus. They serve beer there and I bought a beer that night - Matt was getting two beers and they will only server one person one beer so the pregnant lady bought the beer - Matt still finds that funny. So we went to the movies that night and I loved the movie - maybe it was all of the noise in that movie that made Murdoch decide that he wanted to come out.

Monday, August 27th.

9 AM - Non-stress test. Woke up got online to do a little bit of work and I was hating that I had to go in for this test! I got there, was on the bed, the first reading wasn't good so I had to do another one. So annoyed the whole time that I had to do this test because I was now officially over-due. The baby/it moved enough so I was free to go. The whole time I was thinking to myself - please go into labor because you are already at the hospital - that would make it so easy!

10:36 AM - Back at home and I start to work again - I sent out emails to people though not doing too much because I have transitioned pretty much all of my work to other people - I am now a week over-due.

12:28 PM - Call Andy (yes I pulled up my cell phone records for this) I am guessing that I am calling to say that I might be in labor - just as a heads up in case he has meetings. Bear in mind - at this point everything I have read saying that you can do laundry, watch a movie, etc. so I think I have all of the time in the world.

12:30 PM - Call Ligea, my doula, to also let her know this - her day may be interrupted so I wanted to give her as much notice as possible.

12:37 PM - I send the following email to my boss:
Rich,
I am going to sign off for a little while - I think I might be having some contractions so I really can't concentrate on work. I will give you an update later today either way.
Thank you,
Sarah

1:53 PM - Call Andy again - I think this is the phone call that says I am definitely in labor you need to come home.

2:00 PM - Call Ligea again - I am definitely in labor

1:55 PM - Call Andy again - not sure what I didn't say 2 minutes before - maybe he can fill in the blanks

3:00 PM, 3:03 PM, 3:22 PM - All calls to Andy - I think these were my calls basically saying where the hell are you?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3:39 PM & 3:40 PM - Call Ligea - I think this was to say that we had decided to go to the hospital because this didn't seem to be a passing thing

Sometime after that leave for the hospital, as we get to the hospital Andy misses the turn and I want to kill him! Arrive at the hospital - park in the top level of the parking garage - needless to say this is going to take me awhile to get down and over to the hospital. Get out of the car - throw up all over the car - hey at least it was the outside of the car instead of the inside and we were on the top level so if it rained it would be cleaned off right. Walk to the elevator, take it down, bad contraction in front of the hospital, some guy asks if everything is okay and if anything is wrong - I am pretty sure it is easy to figure out that I am in labor by the size of my stomach! Somehow get to the labor and delivery area.

4:17 PM - Call Ligea - tell her we are there

4:56 PM - Call my boss - I won't be into work tomorrow or logging on later tonight

Stay in there for what seems like forever, maybe 45 minutes - get the general workup and checked out to make sure I am far enough along in order to be admitted. I am 3cm - I thought well that is something. They said that I would be admitted and I would get a room with a jacuzzi - I thought great!

The rest of the afternoon/evening/night is a blur. I know I was in a room with Andy, Ligea, and two nurses - one was Steph and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the other one. They were extremely supportive, understanding, helpful, etc. Lots of things went on in that room that I will never repeat and only Andy will know or a close friend after I have had a few drinks. I do know that Andy help me up over and over again during the contractions, he didn't flinch (at least as far as I knew at the time) when I bit his shoulder when I thought that I was only biting his shirt. Ligea was right there helping both of us - supporting me and also giving Andy the support he needed to deal with me in this state that he had never seen me in before. I know that he felt helpless so having Ligea there was the best decision I made while I was pregnant. We tried different positions, got in the jacuzzi, didn't work, and finally it was time to push.

9:30 PMish - I was in my bed with my little pushing bar and I was exhausted but ready to push. I was making great time! They said this was supposed to take an average of 12 hours - I was thinking - hey look at me I am above average! So I was pushing, and pushing, and I guess it wasn't going very well so I was 'checked' again by the on-call doctor and she determined that I was actually only 9cm instead of 10cm so I needed to go back to working to get to 10cm. So I have to say this was devastating!

So for the next couple hours we did everything we could in order to accomplish that last cm. And then it was August 28th...

2 comments:

Unknown 7:23 AM  

You did a great job! Usually that part fades a bit when you see the wonderful result, but your case was obviously a difficult one. Well done!!

Sarah, Andy, Murdoch, and Deucey 6:27 AM  

d

Sarah's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP