Tuesday, November 11, 2008

For my funeral

No I am not dying, at least any more so than the average person on the street, and I am not trying to be morbid. I found this in the back of my date book that will expire at the end of the year and I wanted to make sure I didn't forget about it. I went to the Body Works exhibit two years ago and wrote this down as something I would like to have at my funeral:

Seneca's (4 B.C.-65 A.D.) quote: "Death is the release from all pain and complete cessation, beyond which our suffering will not extend. It will return us to that condition of tranquility, which we had enjoyed before we were born. Should anyone mourn the deceased, then he must also mourn the unborn. Death is neither good nor evil, for good or evil can only be something that actually exists. However, whatever is of itself nothing and which transforms everything else into nothing will not all be able to put us at the mercy of Fate."

I have no idea why I like that quote but for some reason it is comforting to me.

2 comments:

Ellen 7:11 AM  

For some reason the quotation made me tear up. I'm either emotional or the raging cold I have is making me cry. Either way, I really liked it. For the record, I don't want to be around for your funeral, you know, cause I'll be dead already!!

Unknown 9:38 AM  

This is a terrific quote. It puts into words my hope as well.

Sarah's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP