Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Traveling with a baby

Or kids for that matter though we haven't graduated to kids so I don't want to speak for parents that travel with kids any age above 8 months.

We flew to St. Louis this past weekend to visit my parents. Murdoch was great on both flights. He had about 10 or so minutes of being fussy but he was just tired and he never started screaming. Andy and I were both grateful! I hate the looks and whispers you get on a flight when your child is screaming. I can accept that from someone who has no kids but from people that have them - I think you should get at least some sympathy!

What I actually find even more disturbing after this weekend of flying is the reaction that you get if your child doesn't cry to the point that people don't even know if a baby is on board the plane. And let me just say that I prefer this scenario because it is much less stressful but I found the reaction odd. I didn't find the statement, "What a great baby. I didn't even know there was a baby on the plane." I was fine with that. What I found odd was when someone said "What a lovely family you have!" So we were basically being judged on the fact that Murdoch was quiet which made us a lovely family though if he had been crying the whole time would have been the horrible family.

I know people mean this in a nice way but it was one of those statements that stuck in my mind. We don't have total control as far as how Murdoch is going to be on a plane. If his ears are killing him then he is going to scream. This time he was exhausted so he slept most of the time so we were lucky.

And one other point - now that I am complaining I can't stop! I really miss flying without a baby! I used to enjoy flying. The engines would go on and I could barely keep my eyes open with that white noise! Love it! Now at least one of you is forced to stay awake and entertain the baby when you can barely keep your eyes open yet you must - one of my least favorite feelings! So here's to the day when Murdoch is old enough to hate me so that he wants to sit in a different row because I am ruining his life! :) Andy and I can drink a glass of wine and take a nap!

2 comments:

Unknown 12:49 PM  

Glad to hear that your flights were better this time! You are troopers to even try...
Panting for this round of photos!

Ellen 6:27 PM  

Amen. Just as the crying baby isn't necessarily a reflection of the parents neither is the good baby. I wonder what people would think if you said, "Well I gave him a shot of vodka before the flight; it works like a charm."

On second thought, maybe I should do that with my kids because they aren't going to win any traveling awards soon.

Sarah's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP